Paper-Pieced Star Table Runners

I recently pulled out a couple of table runners I finished last fall to use for a tablescape on one of my other blogs.

I have such fun combining my quilting hobby with my love of setting tables.

It's such fun to be able to make smaller useful projects like table runners. These two are made from 3-inch paper-pieced blocks from Carol Doak's book, Simply Sensational Nine-Patch Stars.
With the seemingly unlimited possibilities of mixing and matching, this is the most useful quilting book I have ever bought.

I am finding that I like the runners without any quilt batting in the middle. They stay nice and flat on the table if I use a heavier backing fabric and nothing in the center. If the backing fabric is not heavy, I do use a very thin bat.

This is the backing fabric on these runners.

Quite subtle compared to the other side, don't you think?

If you want to see the table after it's all set, you can by clicking here.

Comments

Carol Doak said…
I loved the use of the stars for your table runners. Well done! I also visited your other blog....The table setting was stunning. Keep up the fantastic work!
All the best,
Carol Doak
Author of Simply Sensational 9-Patch Stars
Mrs. JP said…
WOW - you got a comment from Carol Doak...I'm impressed. I have one of her books but don't know where to start. Is there a good beginner paper piece block to start on? I appreciate your help. I'd like to start piecing because those points are amazing but I need to start simple...Help and thanks :O)
gotime61@gmail.com
Diana LaMarre said…
Carol, thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment. Also thank you for writing the books that have given me so much pleasure the past few years.

Mrs. JP, I taught myself by searching the net for a simple heart block with just a few pieces. Then I printed it and just spent an afternoon practicing until I had the basic premise figured out. Once I knew what I was supposed to be doing, it all seemed easy! It would help a lot if you had someone who could show you, but I didn't have anyone.

Just keep trying. It really is easy.
Gayle said…
First of all, outstanding paper piecing! And I love the design of this place setting!
Diana LaMarre said…
Hi Sparkle jars,
Thank you very much.
Wow! I love your table runners. You have inspired me to get down to the sewing room and do a little creative magic!:) You asked about the Celebrate magazine pictured on my blog. It was published by Hoffman Publishing who does Southern Lady Magazine. There are some great ideas and good recipes in it. I hope this is the first of many, because I am really enjoying it. I have seen them for sale in many places. I got mine at Borders. Love your blog! Thanks for stopping by mine...Please come back! Have a great day!