Sunday, July 27, 2008
In just a few weeks, I should have a number of orange/red canna blooms. I can't wait to see how the quilts look when everything is in full bloom.
Sunday is the day I wash and change the bed linen. I decided to switch the quilt, even though I have only had 'Bow Tie Required' on for a week. This quilt was made to use up some stash so I call it 'Stashbuster'.
I don't like it much. The center is made of rows of double nine patches. I used a cotton batting and I hated it. I found it very difficult to hand quilt, so I used a combination of hand quilting and tying on this one.
I like the borders and I also like the prairie points used as the binding, but the top with the nine patches is pretty dull.
Sunday, July 20, 2008
I changed my bed quilt today.
I made Bow Tie Required way back in the early 90's (I think, I can't really remember when).
It was the first time I made tiny little 9-patches for a border.
One of my favorite things about this quilt is the tulip quilt pattern (even though they don't look like real tulip leaves).
Tuesday, July 15, 2008
Recently I attempted to machine quilt one of them using a gold metallic thread. What a pain that was! I have never sewn with metallic thread before and the Viking Sapphire did not do a very good job.
The thread kept breaking, the tension was wacky...it was a mess. I won't be using metallic thread any time in the near future. I still need to hand sew the binding down and this will be finished. It's too bad the machine quilting pretty much ruined it because I really like this one.
Now I need to decide how to quilt the second runner. I may just hand quilt it. I probably should force myself to keep trying with the machine. I just can't seem to find anything I like about machine quilting.
Sunday, July 6, 2008
I can't tell you how happy I am
To be DONE quilting you!
I had a mental goal to finish the hand quilting on this king-sized quilt before July 4.
Here it is July 3 and I am ecstatic to say that I am finished!!! Whoo hooooooo....it feels so good.
Here is a close up of the back. Go ahead and click on it so you can see all of the thousands of hand stitches. I am not claiming that they are great stitches, but I am pleased as punch that I did all of them.
I started quilting this one in January '08 and I only worked on it now and then. Six months may sound like a long time, but when you consider that I often went weeks without doing any quilting, it's not so long. There is one little thing bothering me, though. That diamond shape near the top of this photo needs a bit more quilting. I will probably go back and quilt another diamond inside the first diamond. There is just too much unquilted space there.
Now I have to make a binding and sew it on and the quilt will be ready for my bed. I will show the front when it's all finished.
Saturday, July 5, 2008
I've been making pieced book covers. I don't have a pattern, so I've been experimenting on my own.
This one seems to work nicely.
It even has a bookmark sewn in.
I made a few other samples before I decided the above worked best.
This one had two smaller blocks sewn together.
The only problem is if I want a good snug fit, I have to custom make them for each book. The spine is always a different size, depending on the number of pages.
I guess I could make a few at half inch intervals -- 1.5", 2", 2.5" spines, etc. That way I will always have one on hand for whatever size paperback I am reading.
The nice thing about them is I get my block piecing fix and the project gets finished the same day. Unlike my big quilts which take months or even years to make their way from my sewing room to the top of my bed.