My First Paper-Piecing Project


In January of 2006 I taught myself to paper piece with this heart block. I made quite a few heart blocks -- until I felt comfortable with the new technique.

I was intrigued by this paper piecing. I decided to try a larger, more difficult block before I forgot what I had learned.

I copied the pattern, taped the 4 pieces together and numbered them all


Then I just cut chunks of fabric that somewhat resembled the shape I needed, turned the pattern to the back side and started sewing

At this point I am not too optimistic. Did you ever see a more sorry-looking block?

I think the pattern should be on the back also. I can't tell where to place the piece to sew it on. I decided to use a pin to push through the front


When turned over you get this little holey line so you know where the fabric needs to end up


After ripping out and resewing 4 or 5 pieces that I still cut too short, I finally ended up with this

I have to say I was surprisingly happy with the outcome.

It didn't take me long, though, to realize that poking a needle through every line was way too time consuming. I finally discovered just folding on the line and that is still how I do it today.

Paper piecing is easy, but I think I would have learned it more quickly if I had a teacher to demonstrate.

I spent many hours during Jan - April of 2006 honing my PP skills.



I made good use of all my teaching blocks. I ended up making 7 pillows, and a 3 throw quilts to decorate my deck.



Comments

How beautiful! Your paper piecing is perfect. You did a great job at teaching yourself. When you showed how you poked holes, I was relieved to see that you learned that folding on the line is less time consuming.

I love to paper piece because everything turns out perfect. I always have to practice at first because it is so different than normal sewing, but once I get started, it's fun.

I love how you took your new skills to make such a gorgeous ensemble for your porch.

Thanks for visiting my blog!